Thursday, January 14, 2010

What's Your Weekend Worth?

This evening, I was planning to try to lighten everyone's mood, in light of the recent Haitian tragedy, with a whole posting about Donald E. Goerke, Creator of Spaghettio's, who died today at 83. Guaranteed, every single one of my college classmates was raised on this tomato-meatball stew. I know it was a quick fix lunch in our home, and my mother cooked! My final point was going to be for my little sister, and every hangover that she's ever had. She's completely in mourning.

Instead, I go with a challenge.

My challenge is this: all of the money that you would normally spend during the weekend, try not to spend it. For example, Ben and I will go to brunch at least once of the weekend days, to the total of at least $37 with tip. And, the weekend is the ideal time to catch a movie. That's $24 for two. Now, I am not saying hermit! No! But, eat at home, explore what's free in the city (or wherever it is you call home), volunteer, talk with friend face-to-face (this is free!!!).

Then, whatever money you save, give to the Haitian Relief Effort.

Yele Haiti

This organization, founded by Wyclef Jean, creates projects to improve the quality of education, health, environment and community development in Haiti. To donate to to its Haiti relief efforts, go to yele.org or text YELE to 501501 to donate $5.

This is the one that I've heard most recommended by legitimate sources.

Game On.

No comments: